As a busy parent, chances are you already know just how difficult it can be to find the right tutor for your child, and finding the right maths tutor for them can be the most tricky of all!
Fortunately, help is at hand and here at Matr we’ve gone out of our way to take all of the pain out of finding a maths tutor. While our main focus is on providing high-quality, one-to-one maths tuition to your child, we have also put a lot of time into ensuring that everything is just right for parents as well, as we know how much of a commitment maths tuition can be.
We’ve brought maths tuition into the 21st century, and some of the things that make us stand out from the crowd include:
- The affordability of our one-to-one maths tuition lessons. We believe that maths tuition should be available to the many, not just the lucky few.
- Our intelligent platform, which matches your child (and their mathematical needs) to their perfect tutor to ensure that they get the most learning possible out of every lesson, and that you get the most value for the money you are spending.
- The convenience of our lessons. There is no more driving 40 minutes on a dark, cold evening to get to a maths tutor. Instead, all you need to do is sit your child down with a laptop at the kitchen table, and relax with a cup of tea while they enjoy their maths lesson.
- Our fun and engaging online learning platform, that gives children the opportunity to ask questions and receive feedback in real time, as this is something that is invaluable in the world of primary education.
We’ve made all of this possible by taking our maths tuition online, and whilst you may not have considered online tutoring before, by bringing maths teaching forward from the days of ‘chalk and talk’ and into the 21st century, we have created a new and exciting way of teaching maths that helps increase engagement and development in this often tricky subject!
If you are interested in the idea of adding one-to-one maths tuition to the list of things that you do online, let us take you through what you can expect from your child’s first lesson with Matr so that you can see all of the benefits this exciting new way of teaching can bring to your child’s education!
1. Your first lesson gives you both the chance to meet your new tutor
The first Matr lesson is a great opportunity for both you and your child to meet the tutor. You’ll be able to ask them a few questions and find out a bit about their background – it’ll also give you, as a parent, the assurance that it is, in fact, a real-life person on the other end – not a robot!
Each and every one of our tutors go through rigorous training, police checks and follow the UK national curriculum, so a lot of the worries you may have as a parent with traditional face-to-face tutoring are instantly allayed in the first lesson with Matr.
What happens once the teaching begins?
After all pleasantries of being introduced to your tutor, your child will start their learning journey in the interactive classroom. Here they’ll be able to talk, type and draw their way through the online maths lesson with their own specialist maths tutor (what’s more is that you can log in before your child’s lesson and have a play around on our interactive classroom – familiarising themselves with all of the tools. Check out the video below to see just how simple the platform is to use!).
Throughout the lesson you will hear our tutors asking questions like:
- What can you tell me about what you know here?
- What strategies could you use to work this out?
- How do you know this is correct?
This helps the tutors to ensure that your child has really grasped the underlying maths behind each question and can confidently articulate their reasoning.
Lessons will vary depending on your child’s mathematical level, age and whether or not they took the free diagnostic test that is available (but not obligatory), and we pride ourselves on being able to help each child achieve the most they can depending on their own individual needs.
At the end of every lesson your child will be able to give feedback – about the lesson (e.g. if they understood it, if it was useful, if it was interesting) or even about the tutor (e.g. if they explained problems and solutions well).
They’ll also have the chance for ‘practice time’ after every lesson where they’ll be able to have a go at what they learnt in their lesson on their own.
Your child will also begin building a relationship with their tutor
We understand that building a relationship with a tutor can really impact on a child’s development. This is why every week your child will enjoy maths lessons from the same tutor.
The tutor will set the pace and is in full control, meaning that (other than the first lesson where you may want to meet the tutor too), you don’t have to be in the room, you can get on with your day whilst your child gets stuck in with mastering maths!
Your child’s tutor is trained to identify any gaps they may have in their mathematical knowledge, and they’ll be able to work through topics and plug more of these gaps in each lesson, but this starts in lesson one!
2. You will have the chance to see how we use an audio-only classroom to help your child learn in the most effective way possible
Here at Matr, all of our lessons are delivered by audio and we do this to ensure that your child’s attention is fully on the lesson – with no distractions! This means that whilst they are busy using the interactive classroom, whether that be drawing shapes, typing out answers or using the stickers that are available, they will only be able to hear their tutor and not see them.
We all know how much kids love anything with screens – so we can bet that their eyes will be glued to the interactive classroom and their ears to what the tutor is saying!
As well as increasing children’s concentration, online teaching methods such as ours can help maintain children’s enthusiasm way beyond traditional methods. They can also give them a much more comfortable and familiar working environment compared to working with a face to face tutor.
With over 1,600 schools using our interactive learning technology already, you can rest safe in the knowledge that your child is in good hands during their one-to-one maths lesson.
3. You will be introduced to the growth mindset we have here at Matr
Famous in the world of teaching, psychologist Carol Dweck developed the concept of a growth mindset in her book, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. Dweck describes a growth mindset as:
“In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work—brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment.”
Over the past few years a huge number of schools and educators have begun to use these theories to inform the way they teach students, and this is something we do here at Matr as well. We are big believers in “I don’t know how to do that YET” rather than just “I don’t know how to do that.”
Our tutors are trained to use questions and phrases that encourage a growth mindset throughout each and every lesson, promoting resilience, grit and determination throughout each stage of every child’s learning journey, and this is something you will see in your first lesson.
4. You will get to see a progress report, giving you an insight into how your child is getting on in their lessons
How will you know how your child is getting on in the lessons? Well, you’ll receive progress reports, delving into your child’s online maths adventure and giving you a chance to celebrate their success!
These reports will include updates on what your child has been learning in their lessons, the topics they are engaged in and how they have been progressing! We know how important feedback is for you as a parent, and we want you to be involved in your child’s learning to ensure that you are happy with the work they have been doing.
As well as tracking your child’s progress, we also monitor and record every lesson to make sure that our tutors and your children are on the right track and making the most of their educational journey together!
We want to ensure that each and every minute of maths counts during a Matr lesson.
5. You’ll discover that you don’t need to be a technology expert to make our online tuition work for you
When it comes to setting up for your first lesson – there’s no need to panic! It’s quick and easy, all you need is an internet connection, laptop/PC and a headset.
Then, once you’ve got your computer and headset ready, all you’ve got to do is follow the steps below:
- Create your Matr account (we will send you an email after you book your child’s first lesson, that allows you to create your account).
- You’ll then be able to login into your account via our website.
- Your child can then take a free maths test to help select the appropriate level of difficulty for your child’s lessons. (You don’t have to if you don’t want to!)
- Every week, you will log into your Matr account at the time of your child’s lesson and this will give them access to the interactive classroom.
- Then, the final thing to do is to plug in the headset, and your child can begin their personalised maths adventure!
It’s easier than you thought, isn’t it? But don’t worry, once you’ve booked your first lesson we’ll send you a welcome pack with all this information, in case you get stuck!
There’s only one thing left to do, and that’s to book your first lesson and try out our one-to-one maths tuition for yourself!
We’ve used all of the experience we have gained from teaching one-to-one maths in schools across the UK to bring world-class tuition right into your living room with Matr.
Online learning may be new to some, but we have shown in 521,523 lessons, to 45,630 pupils in 1,670 schools that it is a proven way to boost a child’s confidence in maths.
So, if you are looking for to help your child master maths this year, consider joining the Matr family and helping your child to begin their maths adventure today.